Wednesday, July 20, 2011

#129: HOAES (5)

So yesterday, I saw my result for my summer dynamics class and I was very happy to know that I got a passing grade (B); as much as I would have love to have gotten an A, I am very grateful for the B. I am happy because this is a class that I struggled so much in this summer, and the fact that it was a summer class made it more difficult. The reasons why I struggled are because this course content was intense, and my learning style was not very compatible with the professor's teaching style.

Dynamics being one of the branches of Engineering Mechanics is a very tough course and I consider it as an advance level of Engineering Physics with the constant presence of kinetics and kinematics. When I was in Engineering Physics (mechanics portion), I struggled in some of the content but I was lucky to have great friends in it, whom I studied with and we tutored each other. Towards the end of that semester, I was able to get a passing grade, but it was not my satisfactory grade. Due to the fact that I struggled in Physics, I was not very excited about Dynamics; I had taken Dynamics for a couple of weeks last Spring semester but dropped it due to the fact that it was very time-consuming and I was also taking Deforms (Mechanics of Deformable Bodies) and that is another difficult class, so I dropped it.

So this summer, I decided to take Dynamics by itself so I can fully concentrate on it, but also having rest some during my break from college. Although I am not a fan of summer classes, I decided to take this class because it's a prerequisite for a class I'm taking next semester and I just wanted to get it over with. Overall, I did not mind the class and even though it was a 4-hour-long class, I was okay with that because I looked towards the fact that it was only a 6-week-class. However, what I found difficult about this class was having to remember a lot of the things I had learned in Physics, Differential Equations, Statics, and also Calculus (1, 2, 3); yes, I passed all those classes but there were things that I struggled with back then so I did not appreciate them creeping up on me again. Also, the professor's teaching style was different from my learning style and there were no TAs (teaching assistants) but I am happy that I had a great textbook to refer to, and I worked arduously with my classmates outside of class.

My advice to present and future engineering students is to be ready to work hard, because the path involves some classes that will come with difficulty. What is also tough is that there will be times in this type of class whereby the professor may not be able to communicate well with you, so one has to make ways to succeed. Ways that can be made to succeed are by asking for help from whoever has accurate knowledge about the subject, reading books beyond the assigned textbooks, and also getting help from classmates. you start taking higher-level engineering classes, do not forget the content because they will most likely show up in future courses and practices.

Remember that engineering is a tough path for some but can be endured. Therefore, be the best student you can by working hard and passionately.

"Main Vari Vari" from the movie Manghal Pandey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...