Saturday, February 19, 2011

#4: Bathroom wall writing

Last night, I attended an event on campus honoring National Black History month (which I must say was amazing). The event showcased several talented students in the University through the arts, especially music. It was an overall great evening. However, another thing that I really loved about that night was a writing that I saw on the bathroom wall (in the building where the event was hosted) which I've never seen before. Usually on bathroom walls and doors, one would see the writings of derogatory words, phone numbers, obscene images and profane languages, but last night's writing was different. I am completely paraphrasing right now, but it pretty much said "You are are strong + smart + beautiful. Do not forget." Seeing something like that definitely put a smile on my face.

It was so refreshing to see something like that written on a bathroom wall that sends a positive message, in contrast to ones I've seen in the past. A reason why I especially liked this writing is because I felt like that message has the power to change someone's life who uses that bathroom stall. For instance, if someone is having a bad day or misfortunate events happening, from just going to that bathroom to use it or freshen up, they glance over those words, it can definitely uplift their spirit.

I believe that messages like that need to be written on many walls, literally and figuratively. We all need to be uplifted and inspired in some way, so why not do it in different mediums either by saying it to the person face-to-face, e-mails, bathroom wall writings, etc. It may not instantly bring world peace but I believe it is a step towards it.

Yasterseryal - Teddy Afro

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...