Saturday, February 19, 2011

#5: Satire or reality???

I was browsing through Youtube today and I came across this video, which I found to be funny. I guess I found the humor in it because I lived in Nigeria and know the overall attitude of many Africans, especially the women. As hilarious as this skit was, I also realized that I was laughing so hard because it is very true and these women were making a huge point.



I know there are people out there that'll watch this video and see no problem with it and its satirical tone, but as an African girl in transition to becoming a woman and having to deal with topics such as marriage and children, it means a lot to me. Many Africans are big on education and take pride in having educated children; however, there is a difference in emphasis towards getting education for boys and girls. Both sexes excel well in their younger years and granted many opportunities, but that changes when students start getting to higher education. Although some girls are out-of-the-world intelligent, they are discouraged and not even given a chance to go to college and move further in education and careers. Like they demonstrate in this skit, the women comment on "her" being a career woman and being negligent of taking care of her husband and having children.

Honestly, I am not saying marriage and children are bad at all, because I do consider them to be blessings that some people can have but they should not be rushed or forced. Things like that have to be natural and not done in order to make the family happy. It makes no sense for me to get married at a certain early age and have children yet unhappy just because I want to make my family happy, or be in the rank of my friends that have done it.

I really wish that many people will see the dangers of these forced traditions and how damaging they can be to the lives of girls and women in African communities and other parts of the world. Give that girl/woman all the opportunities there are and she would make the right decisions for herself. I will forever carry my African values and morals and I know I have been raised right, I think my family should have no fear of me making terrible decisions. I am not perfect and may likely make mistakes but what's great about mistakes is that we learn from it and most of the time we have a chance to make the best out of it and make a complete 180 degrees turn. 

Women have to be in the relationship with their partners, and they are the ones that will be carrying that blessing for nine months, so at least give them the joy and right of choosing the appropriate time (which best fits their career and goals in life).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...